View Single Post
Old 03-31-20, 09:57 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
While 142 and 148 may be common today, they are also likely to be through axle which is a whole kettle of other fish for even expensive truing stands to deal with. Even if the hubs were quick release in that width, it’s only 7mm and 13mm difference. 7mm is 1/4” while 13 mm is 1/2”. The truing stand can’t be very stiff given the construction so it should be able to spring the 7mm. 13mm might be a stretch but not by much.

I built many wheels with a Minoura truing stand like this one. It harder to work with than a Park truing stand but it does work. The one you are looking at looks a little flimsier but not by much. You’ll need a dishing tool or just turn the wheel around to check dish but it’s workable.
Thru axle really isn't a big deal for a decent truing stand to deal with, just need some form of adapter though I've had no trouble building thru-axle wheels using the axle from the bike, a cheaper stand might require some form of QR conversion item but the bigger concern is fitting the wheel.

A stand I'm someone willing to recommend is this one https://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Porta...g%2C160&sr=1-3
I bought one of these about 25years ago and learned to build wheels with it, it will make the job harder then a real pro stand but I think will do better then the one you asked about for not a lot more money. I still will toss mine in the car if I'm doing some form of neutral support as it does work well for doing a quick true or spoke replacement truing; this looks like its been updated nicely though its still the workman version.