Old 08-02-12, 07:28 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by drjdan
The 2012 model of the bike did come with DT Swiss RR1600 but the 2013 model that I have ordered come with Mavic Aksium WTS. The 2013 model is $200 cheaper than the 2012 model. I think they have changed the wheels and lowered the price to make room for a new Mod 1 bike for 2013.

So from what I can tell the Mavic Aksium WTS are about $300 per set and the DT Swiss RR1600 are about $700 per set, so that is why I am considering upgrading. The Mavic Aksium are the lowest priced wheel in thier product line and I just don't like buying the lowest. I certainly not looking at a $1000 set.
Also my LBS is suggesting using tubeless with sealant tires.
the aksium set weighs in at 1735g, slightly heavier than your average aftermarket wheelsets that clock in around 1500g or so. the aksium is a heavy duty monkeyfighter, virtually nuke proof. inside the mavic line you'll spend about $5-600 to drop ~200g. the aksium, while it may be mavic's entry level wheel, is pretty far from being a steel box section rim from the 70's, its a good looking, stiff, and good performing wheel. ride 'em until they are cooked, bent, broke, etc then upgrade. or email me with a reasonable price for the aksium set and maybe we can strike a deal!!

edit - not sure i'd go tubular right away, given the fact that you're askin these questions about it you may not be ready for tubular, lotta good discussion about tubular around here, worth informing yourself before you do that.