SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Worksman are good and strong. Another option might be a Schwinn Heavy Duti. They came with steel rims, but I think these were stronger than their standard wheel. The only ones you can get now are used. Well, with the elecro forged, made in Chicago frame. I remember seeing a picture somewhere of a Heavy Duti with a welded frame. This could be a made in China copy of the original. Not sure.

The Heavy Duti will take 26" x 2.125" tires as opposed to the middleweight Schwinn's 26" x 1.75" tires. One other note with Schwinn is to watch the tire size. Schwinn had some Schwinn only tires sizes.

If you going new, I would agree on the Worksman. It could take too long to find the right vintage bike.
The Heavy Duti is still available. It comes with aluminum rims and 14g spokes, so it isn't any stronger than the regular modern cruisers. The Heavy Duti is just a name now. The only real difference is the camel back frame instead of the cantilever frame. I have a Chinese made one form 2000 and I can say that it is very straight and well built. I think the inside of the frame was also coated with a rust inhibitor because I opened up the bottom bracket a few weeks ago for service and all the steel in the shell and tubes looks like it was brand new. I don't know about the weight limit though.

Here is what the current model looks like... $449.00