I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by n0+4c|u3
I bite. Why?
My coaster braked bicycles have served me well over the years, with no front brake, or need for one.
If you're slapping the pedal backwards hard enough to break a chain while braking, you're doing it wrong.
Shouldn't be anything to bite on. It's only opinion and mine is from a viewpoint of someone that has not used a coaster brake since about the 3rd maybe 4th grade back in the mid to late 60's. I also will change my opinion as I find opinions expressed that seem reasoned. Yours is good, I've no trouble with it.

Not sure I'll want to depend on one brake yet. Especially since I don't do any truly leisurely riding. At the times I had one or the other rim brakes fail, I certainly was glad I wasn't left without a way to slow the bike quick. Perhaps the chances of a chain coming off or breaking are rare enough for the risk to not be worth the worry.

I wouldn't worry so much for a 60 pound kid breaking a chain. But a grown adult with a good set of quads might be a different story. I think my coaster brake did fail at times, but the bike was a hand-me-down and older than I was at the time. I'm sure they must be better now.