Old 07-24-18, 05:38 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I love hearing about your high intensity rides on the fixed gear and how much you enjoy the bike. Stuff like that from other riders inspires me so don't stop posting about it.

Thank you, my friend!

I did my standard interval workout yesterday, on my Parallax. (10 laps, 1.35 miles each, plus warmup and cool down). I was feeling pretty strong and averaging 4:08 per lap, which is about par for me lately--not headed for a PR, but not bad. For my 10th lap, I decided to really push it and see if I could break 4:00. I turned on all the steam I had left as soon as I crossed my start/finish line, and did not let up once... one and one-third very tough miles. Last lap time was 3:43! I was ecstatic to find I could pull that off. Total time for the 13.5 miles was 41:11, which is close to a new PR after all (I have to look back through my log to confirm). Then I cooled down, got off the bike, and got ready to load it on the car. I was absolutely spent and could hardly stand up for about 10 minutes. My wife even noticed and said, "You seem really exhausted!" That was a heck of a workout.

I've been doing this workout once a week, taking a long-ish ride once a week (30 to 60 miles usually), and four days a week just little 3 to 10 mile cruises. I feel blessed to have several really nice bikes that bring me so much enjoyment, fitness benefits, and just a good reason to get out and do something.

Next week I might do another hour challenge... see how far I can go in 60 minutes, which will by necessity require less than max intensity, but for a duration nearly 150% of my usual.

The other thing I want to try is some 1K sprints. I need to find a perfectly flat road with no traffic and measure out the exact distance. I'll try to get my wife and daughter to go along and help, so one can hold me at the start (saving perhaps two or three seconds that I usually take to clip in), and the other can time me. I'll have them on the phone with one another to coordinate the timer start. I honestly don't know how quickly I can ride 1000m... maybe 1:30, 1:25, or ??? The world record (on a track) is just a few seconds under a minute. Really curious how fast I can do it.