View Single Post
Old 09-11-19, 09:36 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 717 Posts
Originally Posted by kmsoars
I've had several fittings from simple shops checks at various places to one of a kind laser plumb bob fittings from the best resource north side of town. The most recent was a saddle fit at a Specialized dealer trained to fit for their bikes where I made impressions when I sat and then they used that information to choose a saddle which in the long run turned out to be hard as a brick. Then when you tried to ride on the crappy, paint mixer roads around me it really added to the bruising.

I've tried various saddles from just about all manufacturers and types. None was perfect. I just had to make do and then sort out the pain as I went making sure to get off and walk around some at SAG stops. The problem was once I get one area of pain resolved like sit bone bruising then it would create another issue somewhere else like perineum numbness. I tend to be pretty stubborn, but this search has been exhausting especially now that I have the added hip pain from injuries sustained getting hit by cars. It has taken the fun out of it, but I'm not willing to give up.
A lot of people get, "professional," fits, and end up with a too high saddle. Mine was high, and I went though a period of frustration and pain as a result. I wasn't rocking, but I had saddle pain, perineum, and hip and back pain. My Brooks B17 though showed me what the issue was. As a result of the too high saddle, I dropped to one side to compensate, that showed up as the dimples in the seat being skewed to the left side.

I dropped the saddle a bit, then a bit more, and still had issues. During a recent tour, I had some discomfort, and finally dropped it the last bit I was hesitant to do, instant saddle nirvana. I now have zero pain, zero. The dimples have now formed where they should be. The last day of the tour was 76 miles, and I felt as good when I got off the bike, as I did when I began the day, tired, but no pain or discomfort.

I had my hip pain for years as a result of the seat height. It took a round of steroids to get rid of the pain. Now that the seat height is correct for me, I am no longer aggravating it by riding.

Sumgy has already suggested Steve Hogg's site, and I highly recommend it as well. Here is a good place to begin: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/
Likes For phughes: