Old 09-13-19, 08:48 AM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Let me add that I agree there are many skills involved in group riding on the road. In one year of group riding, I've gotten (and solicited) many great tips on drafting, cornering, cadence and on and on. I still get tips, and still ask for them. As one who often rides in groups whose average competency is better than mine, I enjoy the strategy and skill of doing things that give me the best chance of keeping up. The fact that I can ride with better, more experienced riders (many who inspire me) is a fun thing about this sport, which was the point of the original post. I can draw on all of their experience because through hard work and time, I can ride with them (albeit still not at their level). I'm still not that good at getting through a turn without leaving gaps, to name one. In tennis, on the other hand, I've hired professional help to improve my backhand volley and other weaknesses. I like the fact that in cycling, while there are skills to be learned, I believe the repetition and the advice of some good mentors are sufficient, that is, unless I want to be a pro. That's a good thing about cycling, IMO. Love this sport. Hope I can do it into my '70s and beyond. Never meant to insult the sport or its participants. Have nothing but respect and admiration for those who are avidly riding bikes. Proud now to be a part of that culture and this sport.
Likes For CoogansBluff: