Old 09-13-19, 10:55 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Are you kidding me? These things are skills? Perhaps in the pro peloton, but for the rest of us? How many years does it take to master looking over your shoulder without wobbling. Do you practice bumping elbows so as to become proficient in not freaking out? Most cyclists I see on the road appear fairly adept at following their wheels through a corner. Mastering these so-called skills doesn't quite seem up to becoming a good tennis player or hitting a curve ball. And who rides like this anyway? Perhaps cycling club members do and racers, but what percentage of cyclists do they make up? At any rate, the more you ride the better you get at controlling your bike up to a point, but I believe that that control comes rather quickly, certainly a lot more quickly than keeping your golf score below 70 or your batting average above .275, pro or not. Speed and endurance come from improved fitness.

But I will not deny these so-called skills are important for certain kinds of riding. I just don't see them as taking long to develop.
I am not kidding you. You originally asked:

What exactly are these skills that are so difficult to master in cycling that would enable me to ride with a group and that can't easily be acquired? The first time I rode with a group, a serious group that is, was many years ago. I don't remember having to master any particular skills. The most difficult part of the ride was keeping up, and that was simply physical fitness.
Those are exactly the kind of skills that would enable you to ride in the group rides I go on. I will tell you from my experience that "simply physical fitness" was not enough. I had run and competed in triathlons for many seasons before attempting my first group ride and that was exactly the attitude I had: How hard could it be? It's just riding a bike, right?

And yes, I have practiced, and would recommend practicing, bumping elbows, leaning on the rider next to you, rubbing tires. Get a friend and practice in a soccer field. Also practice taking a drink, eating, and putting on and taking off clothing. All good skills to know if you're on a ride that doesn't stop and wait for dropped riders. You'll get hot, you'll get thirsty, you'll get hungry.

Oh, and learn how to bunny-hop. Also a good group skill, as sometimes there will be something in the road or pothole and you may not have room to swerve around it. So, bunny-hop it and carry on. (Think of it as a Z-axis swerve).