USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
Perplexed by a small thing

As I'm working (a slight overstatement) on a number of slow-moving projects, I'm at a point where I would like to rebuild a set of wheels for an old Hawthorn Cruiser that was acquired on the cheap for a good friend of my wife. The hubs are fine, but the rims are likely beyond salvaging. So... I turn to the only set of 559 rims (matching the original size) I have in stock - which happen to be laced to their own hubs, but not attached to a bicycle.

I've removed my share of freewheels and cassettes before disassembling wheels before, but the arrangement on the rear wheel has me stumped.

I have a Park FR1 tool which fits the splines perfectly. However, there's a lockring with 8 notches on the outside, which I think needs to be removed before I can remove the freewheel.

I have spent a couple hours online trying to figure out what tool I need to get it off. It has a 47mm outside diameter. The freewheel is a Shimano DX, and I've searched Park's tool listings and also searched for Shimano lockring removers and can't find squat.

If anyone happens to know for certain whether I actually do need to remove this first, that would be helpful. If someone happens to know how to get this off, that would be double helpful.

Thanks,

Z