View Single Post
Old 01-24-21, 11:25 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Or, modify that one. My thought - drill for a #2 or #4 screw though the outside plate, run a nice neat SS pan head from the outside, through the outer plate, through a bushing made from aluminum or steel tubing, though a washer, through the cutout on the inner cage plate, through another washer and a lock washer and nut or just a red locktite'd nut. Cut off the bottom of the cage. Could look like it was made that way.

Ben, the guy who enjoys making bikes different. (I have three I could show you for inspiration.)

That's the solution I took on a Shimano Titlist on a Schwinn Sports Tourer to run 46/30 rings years ago. My sawing skills weren't the best, so once I freed the lower cage, I just got my big-assed bolt cutter blade on it and snip. Then I drilled it and reinstalled the bolt and bushing in the new holes. As I recall it worked well, although I sliced my leg open on the sharp edge since I never bothered to clean it up.