View Single Post
Old 03-08-21, 12:51 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
I have my LBS do most things. I have someone else cut my grass and plow my driveway when it snows.
If my guitars need work, an expert does it.
When I mix and edit recordings, I hire an engineer.
Etc.
I haven't read the thread yet, but I am certain that some will say you're not a "real" cyclist if you don't do it all yourslf. But I don't really care what they think. I've never been very mechanical, AND I fill my time things that I am good at.
I worked in a Guitar shop and one of the best Guitar players I had ever seen (He even had a University degree in it.). Couldn't even change his strings, heck not even a single broken one. He used to do a lot of touring and I asked him what the heck he does when he's in the middle of nowhere and a string breaks? Well I guess he's borrowed a lot of guitars over the years from other bands . But I've found that many guitar players couldn't work on their guitars.

With Bicycles I think there is a generational difference. Back before cell phones if your bike broke down hundreds of miles in the middle of nowhere you were stuck walking. That only happened to you once maybe twice before you kept basic tools and learned how to fix things enough to get to the next town lol. Now if there is a break down you can instantly call and have someone pick you up. The necessity and need isn't there for many.