Old 09-13-17, 04:55 PM
kmcrawford111
50/50 Road/eBike Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Fatboy, Specialized Sirrus, Nashbar Campus, Taga 2.0 Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I'm always skeptical of anything touted on Kickstarter. They often end up being vastly overpriced when the product finally ends up for sale. This one looks like another one to avoid. The price quoted at the website Choose your Taga is $1,499 + $70 for shipping. That hardly meets their claim for being a "Most Affordable Family Bike". It's also obese at 49 pounds. I ride a trike but not an "Adult trike" many of which are overly heavy and poorly geared. If you want something decent at a semi-reasonable price, look for a USED Sun trike. They are not light but are well built and have decent gearing for a range of conditions.
We paid $700, I think, though it was a pre-order while they were trying to get the operation started.

OK, but is a Sun designed to support up to 3 child seats? And even with 1, is your kid going to be looking into open space or staring at your back? And looking at Sun's "Traditional 24" trike specs, it is also 49 lbs. And here are the carrying capacities of the Taga 2.0:

Maximum
Weight
Rider: 110 kg / 240 lbs
Rear Child Seat: 35 kg / 77 lbs. (8 years) – positioned in the rear
part of the Cargo Compartment, closest to the parent
Front Child Seat: 22 kg / 48 lbs. (4-5 years) – positioned in the
front of the Cargo Compartment, further away from the parent
Third Child Seat: 25 kg / 55 lbs (5-6 years) – positioned on a
rear rack
Total load in Cargo Compartment: 70 Kg / 154 lbs., including
load on top

To contrast, the capacity of the aforementioned Sun is 250 lbs., and that seems to be total because it's the only capacity listed.

The Taga is clearly aimed at families. I don't see how a Sun (this one, at least) is comparable, especially if you want to carry more than one kid.