Old 11-19-20, 06:59 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by lcdel
Thanks, a big fit makes more sense why they’d have the height listed as taller. I can go check it out (it’s a local seller), just a bit nervous that if it’s subtly too big for me I might not be able to tell since I’m pretty inexperienced.
It would be a fine first road bike(or second, third, or fourth) and one that's a long-term keeper (if it fits) even if you pick up other bikes at some point. If it fits, it should be a comfortable ride over longer miles. Your seller's asking price is in the ballpark if the bike is in very good condition. I always offer less and see where it goes.

The convention/rule of thumb for frames at the time & previous was that a 53cm frame would have a 53cm (effective or actual if non-sloped) top tube. Lemond, in this case, made frames at 55cm and less with top tubes 1.5cm longer. The 53cm had a eff top tube of 54.5cm. I typically ride a 56cm frame. In a Lemond I ride a 55cm frame with a eff top tube of 56.5cm.

The '04 looks to be a spine bike (steel/carbon frame). MSRP at the time was $2450 ($3300 in today's dollars). You'd be getting a lot of bike for $600ish.

As far as checking it out pre-purchase. With a spine bike you'd need to look at it from both a steel and carbon bike perspective..you may want to research that a bit. If I ran across a spine Lemond in the right condition at the right price I wouldn't hesitate in buying it if it checked out OK. Fun bike.

edit.. a thought on sizing. If you ride it and find yourself reaching/stretching to ride on the brake hoods(your arms will be straight-locked at the elbows..not desireable), then it's large for you. This can be adjusted somewhat by getting a shorter stem and/or shorter-reach handlebars. If you swap out either..save them to keep the bike original if need be.

Last edited by fishboat; 11-19-20 at 07:04 AM.