View Single Post
Old 01-03-21, 06:35 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by force10
I found this Zurich in my size (55cm) in what I thought was good condition and paid $400 for it.

Very good paint, no frame rust, very light rust on chain and cables. Apparently had been in storage since almost new after less than a years use.

From what I can tell it is in pretty much original condition. Currently set up with triple crankset, but also came with all parts necessary to convert to a double (front & rear derailleurs, chain, crankset and bb).

Figured I could put new brake pads, tubes and tires on it and get my LBS to give it a tuneup and I should be in business. LBS manager told me that I overpaid by $150, the wheels are crap and need to be replaced, stem is dangerous bc only 2 bolts holding cap on, all cables need to be replaced, as well as the chain and cassette and that I should buy tools and do it myself rather than pay them to do it.

I’ve changed tires, tubes and pads before and that is about it. Wondering if I’ve made a mistake here...

Am I better off passing this on? Is there anything else I might find if I start digging in? To be honest, I am not certain I want to go bombing down hills on a bike I’ve put together.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Good deal; in NY metro I'd call it a bargain in described condition.