Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Tmonk hit it best I think.

This is just what I did last fall/winter, and I liked it a lot:
For me, usually I start to run more as the weather cools and daylight wanes. I'd rather run in the cold/dark of evening than freeze on the bike. You can run in shorts down into the 40 deg F range if you keep moving. You're like a self contained little heater.

I usually use this to build my aerobic engine by running in the 10k range at tempo to SS (for run zones). Then usually a race pace 5k once a week OR some kind of speed work. It's longer distance now as 10k pace is under an hour and I like to have an hour of uninterrupted tempo/SS of run. So maybe 8 miles.

Before getting back into it, I start general gym fitness. I'll do some yoga/core involving the legs/core. Do some pushups. Do some assisted and unassisted pullups. Lunges with weights. Squats. I've been separating the leg and back aspects and not doing deadlift as I'd rather not have to worry as much about hurting myself. Then I'll keep this up into spring and do a duathlon as a little carrot on a stick to keep at the running through off-season.

I'll pair all that tempo/SS run stuff with longer gravel rides at tempo and SS. Then, once per week go hunt for KOM's or do something in the upper range.

Just me. I'll try it again this fall/winter.
Likes For burnthesheep: