Old 02-10-16, 12:19 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketouringhobo
Anyone Using Garmin Edge Touring GPS Unit???

How do you like it and is it easy to use and how is the
Battery life and how long does it take to charge up when
the battery is low???

I am thinking of buying one ASAP and I would have to save
$62.50 in Money order or REI gift card for 4 months so I can
buy it for my bike touring trips
Not sure if it helps, but I have the earlier Edge 800 unit.
I have no problems keeping on top of its power consumption with my dynohub/E-werk/cache battery.
I've just ordered the Edge 1000 and hope to do the same with that.

I'm a bit of a technophobe, and haven't learnt all the functions of the 800 properly but have arranged some "lessons" from another Edge 1000 user to show me how to download different maps and plan routes.
I've bought the 1000 as my eye sight is starting to deteriorate and I'm struggling to read the maps on my 800 unit.

The functions I do understand and use I love and they help keep my rides interesting.
I like to see my heart rate so as not to over exert and my cadence (rpm) so I know I'm looking after my worn knees.
I'm able to whine about the outdoor temperatures and can see how close to dinner it is.

Be forewarned, it possible to be a little overwhelmed at first by them until you can spend some time learning their functions whilst in a relaxed state.

I don't remember how long mine takes to charge as the dynohub tends to keep it topped up.
I find one of my two dynohubs can keep on top of the power consumption of my smartphone, my Edge unit and my Petzl Tikka 2XP headlight torch with Core rechargeable battery.

I've yet to finalise what the dynamo hub on my trailer will be charging but its likely to be my iPad or storage battery. Longer term it will charge a camera, likely a Sony, either a RX100 or A6000.

My 800 is just too small a screen for me to read comfortably when looking at the maps.
The "Touring" or 810 units are the same or similar screen size so really you want to test ride a bike with one on it to determine if you can read the maps which is the function your paying the big bucks for.

It would be a pain without the dynamo hub as the 15 hours run time is a load of BS and as posted above, expect a much shorter run time.

Good luck

Last edited by rifraf; 02-10-16 at 12:26 PM.