Old 04-18-19, 11:00 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Are you racing the century or just trying to finish? I wouldnt taper at all with that low of volume
I guess just trying to finish. But trying to finish feeling strong within a reasonable time. Not feeling like dying.

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I ride/race many centuries (and longer). I typically taper the intensity of the rides, but not the time on the bike. I like to ease up 3-4 days prior to the century - I keep my efforts 'social', while riding the same duration, but shorter distance. I'll usually have a rest day the day prior to the century - that's also the day I give the bike a final clean/tune-up and layout the gear/food I want with me on the ride.

That is a good suggestion! Thanks. That makes sense since it is really just the hard training sessions that hurt the next day, not the easy rides. I will keep to my schedule but ease off the intensity. I am definitely planning at least 2 full rest days prior to the event.

I find that the challenge of century (and longer) rides is the time in the saddle - my legs & heart/lungs don't suffer as much as general fatigue from staying on the bike for many hours.
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
don't overthink it.
I guess, thanks. Just curious about the optimal way to prepare the week before, since I am hearing contrasting things. A full week of rest will surely be enough to feel fresh, but maybe too fresh.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
On my monitor that's chart's impossible to read. Whatever's on the yellow doesn't show up. Same thing on my wife's. These are large high-end screens.
There is nothing on the yellow... yellow is just rest day or "rider choice", meaning walk, run, stretching routine, whatever.