View Single Post
Old 06-05-19, 08:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
I love threads like this. They are yet another reminder of why I'm so grateful to live alone. I just came back from a beautiful early morning ride with nobody to question me about it. I might go and do a bit of meditation before work today.

I already have two overseas pleasure trips planned this year, one already booked and paid for, the other I've already saved for, so it's just a matter of deciding where I want to go.

I've done everything sexually that I've ever wanted to do.

I decided at the age of eight I wasn't having any children and it's the best decision I ever made. Sure, it's cost me a few relationships over the years (I've had women tell me to my face they wanted to start a family with me, thank God I said 'no') but it was definitely worth it.

One day I'll make a list of all the localities I'll never live in - simply because I don't have to live there. I can afford better (and yes, I have had the luxury of turning down job offers in certain areas simply because I didn't like them).

No balancing needed.

To those who start threads like this (they come up fairly often) or have this dilemma, you people really need to make a firm decision on what's important to you as an individual. Then you need to follow through on it. Is your marriage the number one priority in your life? Or are your life goals (regardless of whether the are cycling-related) more important? The simple fact is, life is finite. There are only 24 hours in a day, or 168 hours in a week. Decide what's important to you, focus on that, and count your blessings.

Yes, I know I sound selfish, and indeed I am, but you know what? So is everyone else. We all do what is in our own best interests. The least selfish thing you can do is be honest about what your interests are, and let other people decide whether that matches their interests or not.
I don't like equating making life choices that don't involve the traditional route with being selfish. Selfish has such a negative connotation. You and I have made many of the same choices. I don't consider that selfish. I consider it responsible. What good comes from getting married and having kids if you know that's not the type of life you want to lead? My father went that route. I firmly believe that he did it because he thought it would change him into the sort of person he was not but thought he should be, in part because of his career path. Didn't happen, and my parents' marriage ended when I was 7 or 8. All and all it was a good thing. It allowed him to live the way he wanted to, which made him a more happy person. His lifestyle also exposed me to a lot of things I likely would not have experienced had my parents stayed together.
Likes For indyfabz: