Old 08-21-19, 10:37 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
In what was once a civilized society, we have deteriorated to the point that many individuals are so wrapped up in their little world(s) that they no longer consider how their actions affect others.

Inconsiderate road bikers, walkers with cell phones, walkers/joggers/riders with earbuds or earphones, dog walkers with extended leashes...the list is endless. Welcome to our modern equivalent of the wild west, the multi-use path.
MUP = Wild West. That's pretty funny. I like it!

Definitely lots of folks doing their own thing on the MUP. I once saw a guy sitting in a camping chair right in the middle of the MUP. In the same area I once saw someone dragging a kayak. I guess that's where the *multi-use* part of MUP comes from. It seems to me that a walker listening to earbuds has just as much right to be on the MUP as I do.

I have riders sneak up on me from time to time. Some announce and some don't. Honestly, I'm torn between announcing and not. It works as intended less than half the time. At about that same rate, the result is the walker turns around whilst they move directly where I'm trying to pass them.

This is why I prefer riding on the road. But there are parts of town where the MUP is simply easier and safer. So I slow down, expect the unexpected and embrace the "multi". That's my new motto..."embrace the multi."
Likes For MattTheHat: