Old 05-14-20, 07:41 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
What would the *typical* LBS do to a brand *new*, lower-end customer?

I keep on hearing this mantra as though the alternative (i.e. LBSs) are much better. Are they? In my area not much but maybe I live in an odd area.
there are a number of differences buying from your LBS. One, you can test ride the bike. Two, you wouldn’t risk getting parts beat up in shipping, Three, most LBS’s will swap out parts for fit, or for comfort(such as seats) Four, most give free tuneups after the bike is broken in, Five, they can offer expertise in selecting what bike you need, as opposed to what bike you think you want.

A lot of this may not be important to more experienced cyclists, and those that can do their own work. Others may place a high value on these.

As for the bike, buy a name brand bike from an LBS, and you get a current bike, with up to date, we’ll speced components, and a frame engineered, tested, and backed by a reputable company.

Most BD bikes are cobbled together with a mishmash of components. Tires, rims, seats, handlebars, etc are often cheap stuff to cut corners. And the “Utegra level” bike may only have an Ultegra rear derailleur, with a 105 front, and off brand brakes and cranks.

So there’s a difference. The question is what’s important to you and how much it’s worth.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 05-14-20 at 07:46 AM.