Old 06-20-20, 05:32 PM
Cyclist7485
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
Well, here's an update. I decided to reinstall the FD-R8000 front derailleur to my favorite bike and take another whack at it.

I clipped that cable off and started with a fresh cable. I opened my iPad up right next to the bike, logged into the S-Tec site, and once again opened the toggle link front derailleur installation module even though I now have it memorized quite well.
I went through every step as it is presented, pausing the video between each step. At first, same old result, then I just began making small changes to the cable tension and limit screws almost as if it was any other derailleur but in much tinier increments. Adjusting in the lowest setting and big/small, then readjusting in big/big, then again in small/big, then repeating the whole process.
Eventually, it worked!

The bike still won't cross chain in Big/Big as smoothly as mechanical Sram Force/Red, and not even close to as well as Campy. It even has a tiny rub in the second easiest cog and the big ring, but it's significantly better than it was, and very livable. Best of all, the rubbing in the big ring and smallest cog is completely gone now. The top trim position will definitely be used..often. The bottom trim isn't really useful at all.
It would seem to me that the procedure given by Shimano should not be expected to yield a tuned drivetrain all by itself, but rather it should be considered a group of base settings from which you may have to make further adjustments in order to fine tune the front derailleur.

It is most definitely more time consuming on some bikes than setting up older design Shimano front derailleurs, and any mechanical front derailleur made by Sram or Campagnolo. I suspect the 405mm chainstays on this bike might have something to do with it. If your bike has longer chainstays, it may be more forgiving.
In any case, it is nice to have a complete groupo of matching components. Testing on the open road tomorrow morning.

06/22/2020 Post Test Ride Update: After a 56 mile test ride, I can honestly say that in my opinion the front derailleur performance is still less than optimal. No rub on the Big ring/small cog combo, but even in the T-Trim Position the chain rubs hard against the inner cage of the front derailleur when in the third from easiest cog and the big ring. It should be able to at least run under force without rubbing in the second cog/big ring combo. It also requires more hand force than previous generations to shift from small ring to big ring.
My final opinion of R8000 Mechanical is that the rim brakes are great, and the drivetrain is nice and smooth if your chain happens to be on the right half of the cassette.
I might be boxing this group up and either returning or posting for sale soon. Sram works better.

Last edited by Cyclist7485; 06-22-20 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Update