JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Ultimately what I need is those gears off the hub so I can clean them. I also need to open up the hub because the wheel has resistance on it. The person who's bike it is never said anything about the resistance - I suspect they don't have a clue. The chain and gears need a good scrub down and re-lube for sure, but the resistance has me more concerned. So I want to open it up and see whats what. The axle does spin rough and tight off the bike (spinning the axle in the hub by hand).

I haven't had a chance to work on it yet today. I will get to it here this afternoon or evening. I may have to run out for a few hours.
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I don't want to transfer the torque through the hub. I'd rather a gear/cassette take it. Especially with as tight as it appears to be...
I believe you are overthinking this.

I have removed hundreds of freewheels using the methods I described previously, with and without a vise. I have only encountered one freewheel that beat me and would not come off. I have never damaged a hub in the process.

The resistance you describe in the axle has nothing to do do with removal of the freewheel, that is a separate problem and the issue is having to do with the bearings in the hub and proper adjustment of the cones on the axle. The freewheel is threaded onto the body of the hub and had no direct connection to the axle.