Old 06-06-20, 06:07 PM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to muddy the waters--- I was just suggesting that sometimes it's not about the published specs, it's about just seeing what fits.

If you want to be sure that your triple will fit, just get the longer bottom bracket-- 122.5 will get it done in all likelihood, and if the spindle is a bit extra long, it might make your chainline less than ideal, but at least it will spin and the small chainring won't hit the frame. In the case of my daughter's bike, I was willing to buy two relatively cheap cartridge bottom brackets so I could try the smaller 118m, and if that still didn't give the chainring clearance, I could install the 122. I wanted the narrowest q-factor I could get, as she is in fact only 9 and pretty small/narrow. I am out of pocket for the return shipping for the bottom bracket unit I didn't use, but I may also just keep it as a spare (or for some future bike....). So I put on the 118 and tried to mount the crank (carefully)--- and it clears fine. YMMV, right?

Having the right gearing for the hills is a good thing--- your knees will thank you!

Cheers....N