Old 11-08-18, 02:36 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Frame reach and stack don't tell the whole story (handlebar reach/stack are what counts), and confuse people on bikes like this.
My bike has long reach, but short (80mm) stem, so it all balances out. I can't say that I can tell the difference but I love how it handles.
Correct- stack and reach arent everything. This is why I mentioned the 100mm stem too- which while not long on its own, makes for a lot of effective handlebar reach when added to such a long frame reach measurement. Add in the 73.5 degree HTA and the stem certainly isnt starting close to the rider either.

Canyon building a frame with these measurements isnt good or bad- its just surprising to me. Not all bikes are meant to fit everyone, i know by experience as probably 50% of bikes in the largest size are too small for me. Everyone is different in their body measurements and its incredibly great that there are so many variations in frame geometry between brands and models as that increases the likelihood of more people finding a good fitting bike. I am sure there is someone in the 99th% for height who also has extremely long arms for their height and is on the search for a mass built frame that fits their crazy proportioned body. Boom- Canyon to the rescue!
I kid, I kid.

As mentioned already- a simple stem swap(nice on the AL since it uses a normal stem!) will help as it would drop from 100 to 80mm and still be a normal looking stem with not too twitchy handling from being too short.

It really is a sharp looking bike and one of very few from a look and value/price perspectives that I would consider if I were to want an aluminum gravel bike.