Old 09-24-19, 11:01 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
That's nothin! I see eucalyptus branches much bigger than that many times a year, after wind storms. Branching branches, all full of leaves, like a bush in the bike lane.
Me too. I saw one of those once, on the other side of the guard rail, sticking over. I tried to move it, but it had to be 100 lbs. or more; it didn't budge. CalTrans keeps these trimmed pretty hard, so it's mostly smaller stuff that's already dead.

It's looking like early 2022 for the Humboldt Bay Trail to be completed, and these eucalyptus will be gone (they're already dying; arborist used the term 'imminent danger'), I can go around the rest, and won't have to ride the highway. ::crosses fingers:: C'mon Bay Trail! Eventually it will be part of the Great Redwood Trail connecting Humboldt to the San Francisco Bay Area, and pardon me I'm drooling. Here's my ride: