View Single Post
Old 07-16-20, 10:07 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Interesting read this thread. I have an interesting observation over the years. In the city, when it gets really hot or hot & humid very bad, you always begin to see some folks out running (jogging) or biking that you otherwise don't see around. IMO those folks do what middle ages religious flagellants did. They seek to punish their body. Often they are also badly out of shape and the really bad weather somehow makes them to stop procrastinating and start doing some fitness activities.

It is one thing if you are a bicycling pro or amateur racer or you train for triathlons to find a limit for your body and get used to punishment, but to go out in high heat otherwise only makes sense if you are curious what you can endure. I doubt it makes you overall better off, health or fitness wise.

Only problem here is, many regions in NAmericas are beset with humidity or heat and humidity, both of which punish the body. You know that body temperature is 37.1C which is some 97F or 98F, even below those temperatures, body has problems keeping the internal temperature not rising. Swimming pools water temperatures are kept much lower than body temperatures for that reason. I don't know about any swimmer training in water temp. approaching 90F or higher LOL granted water medium makes it harder for the body to dump temperature into it.

I consider myself lucky that I do my bicycling in EU where overall the weather is more forgiving, in the area I live in over there anyway. These days in Toronto area, temperatures dip quite low (two days ago down to 64F even) around 5am to 7am and by 8-9am they are well on the way up. These lower temperatures are somewhat negated by higher humidity (humidity rises inversely to temperature). I suppose riding in the early hours can be somewhat more dangerous due to sleepy drivers who are not used to seeing bicyclists out that early.

Last edited by vane171; 07-16-20 at 10:23 PM.