View Single Post
Old 01-03-18, 08:26 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
1X is simpler, lighter, visually cleaner and slightly less expensive than 2X. If the gearing range and the jumps between gears matches your terrain, intended use, physical capabilities and your preferences, it is great.

I can't imagine ever going back to 2X on my mountain bike. With a 28T chainring and a 11-46 11 speed cassette, I have all range I need for the often hilly singletrack trails I ride.

But it won't work for me on my road bike or my gravel bike. I cannot devise a 1X setup that gives me low enough gears for the steep hills I often encounter while also providing tall enough gears for the flat and downhill sections, especially on paved roads. The gaps between gears, while no problem for me with trail riding, are much more of an issue at the higher speeds of road riding, paved or not.

But I can totally see how 1X could work just fine for someone else with stronger legs and/or less varied terrain than what I typically encounter. It's an individual thing. What works or doesn't work for someone else really doesn't matter.

BTW, I have or have had bikes with SRAM Red, Rival, Force, Apex and X7 front derailleurs, Shimano Ultegra, 105, Tiagra, RSX and Deore front derailleurs, Campagnolo Racing Triple and Record front derailleurs and various Suntour front derailleurs. They have all worked well and have been much more impacted by how well I set them up than by internet forum consensus about what works best.