View Single Post
Old 12-23-18, 02:19 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuyuna
I would absolutely reject medical advice on a biking forum out of hand, even from a doctor posting here. The person giving the advice doesn't know the "patient's" history, has not examined them, and doesn't have any objective data save what was relayed by the internet "patient". In many or most circumstances, the person giving the advice based on their own experience did not completely understand what was explained to them by their doctor. Their anecdotes are generally non-applicable, and in some cases dangerous.

The likelihood of your average internet poster confusing anecdote with actual data and relevant medical information is extremely high.

Having said that, people will always ask their friends and neighbors questions about things that none of them have any idea about. It's human nature. My (non-medical) advice....be very, very cautious about the value of advice from anonymous strangers, especially on important subjects. Like...strokes, for example.
So looking at your posting history on Bike Forums, including what I sense to be a lot of medical advice, your advice in those is discountable in every case. Perhaps apart from your knee replacement, you might want to let us know your personal experience with brain injury, caused by something like a stroke or a workplace accident, and the extensive medical advice you must have received for it.

I can think of several other doctors who are cyclists and post on Bike Forums. I would certainly read what they write before anything posted by you.

Last edited by Rowan; 12-23-18 at 02:23 PM.