Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt2.8NJ
I can appreciate your thoughts here. I might call the relationship to our kids racing professionally overseas and license sales somewhat spurious correlation and a paradigm that's past it's prime. Sure, when the US had more folks racing overseas, popularity went up as mainstream news media covered it... yes, more licenses sold.

Especially during the Lance era. Although it's not likely a stretch to call him a once in a lifetime event for US cycling. If the data says a bunch of our kids racing around Europe is the answer for improved numbers at the Paducah crit series , I frankly wouldn't trust the data going forward as Lance 2.0 isn't likely to happen. Would you bank the successful future of our local, domestic, amateur version of the sport on finding a bunch of our kids to race in Europe? I wouldn't, and I hope that isn't the core focus of USA Cycling.

It's Rob, right? Rob, if that is indeed the focus of USA Cycling, I genuinely hope they (and you!) prove me wrong and sometime soon license numbers and fiscal investment in the sport improve.
We all hope it goes that way. The trend goes back before lance as well. 7-Eleven bumps, Hampsten Bumps, LeMond bumps, etc.

There's no effect from price changes, payouts, heavy junior participation or programs, etc. It's actually quite disheartening when you realize that we need to keep doing the things we feel we need to do but the most effective thing to do is still to have success in the European peleton.