Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
These folks must have never ridden a fat bike. Go ride one and see how it handles techy trails.
I am beginning to think some people have never ridden a decent FS bike

I have both, and the idea that a fat bike provides the benefits of a FS bike seems nonsensical to me. They are completely different animals.

Are there some obstacles/tech situations where a rigid fat bike has an advantage? Sure, if the challenge is mostly due to traction (snow, deep leaves, lots of loose rock) and speeds are low. Otherwise, I find an FS bike to be far more competent on rock/rooty/technical terrain. Further, the faster the speed, the less rough it needs to be for the FS bike to outshine the fat bike.

CAN you do rocky/rooty/tech trails on a fat bike? Of course. I do, and it is a blast. But for that matter you can do them on a rigid bike with 2.1" tires. And that is a blast as well (just beats the crap out of me).

Not trying to knock fatties, I recently got one (rigid Wednesday) and love it, but a large part of what I love about it is the added challenge compared to the FS (Turner 5-Spot). And the fact that it is much better suited for the $h!t conditions we have around here 5 months out of the year. (mud, snow, deep leaves) means I get more riding in.

Bottom line is that if I had to vote the FS or the Fattie of the island.... the fat bike would go.