Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I already addressed what I thought of the title above. Two things: water as a placebo for CM is a poor because it doesn't have the same psycological effect, thats why artificially flavored and sweetened solutions are used, just read the studies. Second, comparing to a placebo doesn't answer the question being asked in most of the studies(not the article but the actual studies) which is why CM is compared to carbs only, carbs+electrolytes, or chocolate soy or almond milk in some studies etc, the question being asked is if there is anything special about chocolate milk that provides additional benefit. Thats why I advocate to look beyond article summaries and look at the data itself whenever possible to draw your own conclusions.
Quite right, thanks.

I have a friend who drinks a quart of chocolate milk at controls. He's 6'5", so the calories are fine. I tried a pint once at a final control, just in case, but the outcome wasn't the best. I can drink chocolate milk fine off the bike or after, but not on. We were on the final leg of a 15 hour 400, so still going pretty hard.

Everyone needs to test for themselves. Even a well-done study can have a random outcome when applied to an individual. Me, i go for the cheap and simple post-ride: maltodextrin, whey protein, and creatine, then a bagel with cream cheese on the drive home. I'd have to buy chocolate milk ahead, store it, and worry about spoilage in the summer.