Thread: Strider Bikes
View Single Post
Old 03-25-19, 07:29 PM
lorenzo_de_leon

Bikes: '76 B-Stone Kabuki (SS) / '90 B-Stone MB-6 (1x5) / '94 B-Stone MB-6 (with bobike seat for the boy) / '96 Kona Hahanna / Salsa Journeyman (Claris 650b...for gravel or something...)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Hiya, my son learned to ride on a Strider. He's 6 now but started scooting along on it when he was 2 - 3 years old and he has always been pretty small for his age. When we had the opportunities, I'd take him to the greenways and follow along on my bike or skate board. He could go down the hills with his feet resting on the rear fork which quenched his need for speed. Skate parks are also excellent training places (in the morning before all the super rad skater kids and mid life crisis dads show up) - the ramps and bowls and super smooth concrete make for an exciting place for a four year old boy with a balance bike, not to mention the chance to meet other small kids learning to ride or skate. This isn't to say your son is not ready for pedals, but the transition might prove equally frustrating without having learned the balance fundamentals. I can speak to their effectiveness - my son immediately took off on his first pedal bike Christmas morning without any practice period when he was 4 years old. I only know the small frame size we used, but is it possible the Strider is a bit too small for him, maybe cramping his style (and arms and legs...)?

Last edited by lorenzo_de_leon; 03-25-19 at 07:45 PM.