Old 04-22-19, 05:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
..... bad science...or even wrong science...can’t be discovered without science. Nothing else can check it. Bad science, be it Piltdown man, anti-vaxing, climate change denial, Lorenzo’s oil, cold fusion or any of a thousand other either outright frauds or mistakes can’t be exposed by any other means than science. Even honest mistakes...and there are a number of them and they are constant...can only be corrected by other people doing science. No quack has every been exposed expect by science.

In fact, no other human endeavor has such a built in check system. It is the single most important tool we have to find the way to truth.
But ... the "truth" only matters to scientists. Which is why we have anti-vaxxers, climate-change deniers, and flat-earthers. The "science" gets published, whether it be on a blog, a sensationalized article written form a sensationalized press release in a newspaper or news website .... and people read, misunderstand, and believe it. They never read or hear about or accept the limited follow-up research which might disprove the initial claims, mistakes, frauds, or mis-reportings.

Piltdown man was a fraud, countertop cold fusion, who knows? I cannot imagine those guys got anything much out of their published and quickly disproven results ... but that was a long time ago anyway.

Did you see this? https://www.cbsnews.com/news/family-...XFm9clhLri5ENo --------------------------- Family to Receive $1.5M+ in First-Ever Vaccine-Autism Court Award

Sports drinks are one of my favorites. Almost all the studies have been funded by a foundation created by the owners of Gatorade ....

And the sugar lobby started a very successful campaign to blame fats for health issues while loading our foods with processed sugar.

Anyway ... I am not anti-science, but I see that "science' at its best has limitations, and the religion of science, the blind acceptance of anything publicized as "Science!", is helping to kill human culture.