View Single Post
Old 04-23-19, 08:40 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
That's going to be an awfully upright / short reach combination - drop bars locate your hands up to ~100mm in front of stem center, while Jones Loop bar locate your hands 100mm behind stem center. I recommend you try finding the JL bar at a LBS so that you may measure and estimate the likely change to your grip location and resulting posture.

Assuming this is typical older Trek 520, in addition to the cost of a JL bar you'll need compatible brake and shift levers, and cantilever brakes are not compatible with MTB levers, so you will have to change brakes to Vee type, or use a cable pull adapter (V brakes are probably cheaper than adapters). Plus you may need a longer, larger bar clamp diameter stem. And you might need to replace cables and housing. So about 200-275 bucks....
It's counterintuitive, but the Jones bar actually requires a shorter stem than drops. I really liked my Jones bars on my Surly. Interestingly, considering the unique challenge of sizing for you, in building up a Soma DoubleCross for a friend, I put the Surly Moloko bars on for him. He loves them. The Jones bar is really the inspiration for the Moloko (and perhaps the Crazybar as well). I would recommend the 720mm for you instead of the 660mm.