Thread: 10 mile limit?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-19, 02:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I have been off a bike for many years and about three years ago, now retired, I decided to get back on a bike. I have been riding a Hybrid, Quick 7 & 3 now for about a year and a half of the three as it is about the only style I can ride due to my physical limitations and am enjoying it tremendously. I just finished reading through the thread "First bike need some pointers" and the recurring theme of "they are OK if you are only going to ride ten miles or less" was said over and over. What is the reason for this milage wall that has been imposed on this style of bike and why doesn't it, the bike, do anything good? I ride 15-18 miles and the only limiting factor are my legs. Being 70 I have a limit to my physical strength but I am working on that. Not trying to be confrontational but seriously curious as to why the imaginary 10 mile limit?
Frank.
10 mile limit is nonsense. I regularly ride solo centuries on my FX 3. I've done centuries on bikes that were more upright than that.

The limitation is when you find yourself getting uncomfortable, and that's a different number for everyone.
Likes For livedarklions: