Thread: MUP Etiquette
View Single Post
Old 05-20-19, 06:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by goldensprocket
Calm down son. You're projecting a whole bunch here. First, there is no "bell sound effect" - there's nothing artificial about it. It's just the really loud, and long, tone that my Spurcycle Bell makes. Second, my comment was about some people being oblivious. That's the nature of the beast and if you paid attention to the video you would see that the vast majority of folks heard the bell and acted appropriately. Maybe it's time to watch it again before any more clueless comments?

Thankfully, that's only your uninformed opinion. It's also some pretty amazing virtual hand wringing.

The video was sped up to highlight the vast sea of humanity that came out that day and who, for the most part, heeded the organizer's warnings:

"* Keep to the right when approached by others.

* Do not block entire trail width, always form a Single/double file.

* Look behind and to both sides before changing course"

Yeah, I usually just rely on my really loud hubs to warn folks if I'm on a MUP. This day offered an opportunity to compare results. The bell is more effective when it's really crowded.

I mostly gave up on "passing on your left" decades ago since too many folks only hear "..... ... .... left" and move into your path as you try to pass. Again, this is basic stuff.
Sorry Fellini, but I wouldn't watch it again on a bet. You're not conveying anything but that bike paths look dangerous at 80 mph.

and I have done thousands of passing on your lefts and the guy went the wrong way maybe twice ever. Maybe you're telling it wrong. Proper enunciation is basic stuff, mumbles.