Old 05-21-19, 08:36 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Treat other on MUPs as you would like to have motorists treat you on roadways - safely, patiently and courteously.
This is indeed a very good model - especially with regard to things like passing, particularly slowing and waiting until it is safe to do so. Accidentally ended up on a stretch of narrow guardrail-bounded road this weekend that could have been very unpleasant, fortunately drivers were extremely courteous.

At the same time it would be good for pedestrians to keep in mind that MUPs are in effect country roads and not exclusively pedestrian sidewalks, meaning a degree of traffic awareness has to remain "on"

Locally, we have some problems with illicit urban sidewalk riding, often high speed electric; but we also have some problems with pedestrians who write letters to the editor showing a lack of understanding of the difference between that, and the legitimate cycling on our MUPs. We also get those out for a stroll who habitually take the bike route rather than the walking one in the spots where they split, and park cyclists who think the walking lane is the salmoning alternative to one-way bike loop...

And remember, a lot of those pedestrians have their cars parked nearby.
A year or two ago I was surprised when a car stopped while I was still climbing the hill towards a trail's road crossing that I would not have reached until well after they would have naturally passed. After waving thanks I saw them pull into the trail parking lot, which was when I noticed the bikes on the back.

Last edited by UniChris; 05-21-19 at 08:47 AM.
Likes For UniChris: