Thread: MUP Etiquette
View Single Post
Old 05-21-19, 10:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
A bell is universally recognizable as a cyclist approaching. Not only that its highly directional so its easy to tell what direction he's approaching from. Not only that, but may be required by law as operable equipment in some states.

Not at all an appropriate similarity. And the assumption that the cyclist is somehow more responsible on a MUP is frankly offensive. When it comes to safety, they are both EQUALLY responsible.
I can't speak for others, but I find it much more difficult to locate a bell behind me than I do a voice. Again, that's a debate for another thread (or a few, if I recall).

You're just flat wrong about the cyclist's responsibility on a MUP at least as far as the law is concerned in the jurisdictions I ride in. We're legally required to yield to pedestrians on MUPs. So far as I know, there are no exceptions. You may find that offensive, but it is an actual legal assignment (not an "assumption") of greater responsibility on the cyclist for safety on the path. "He was staring at his phone while walking" is not going to be a defense if you didn't avoid hitting him.