View Single Post
Old 05-31-19, 10:35 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
Probably OK to ride, but watch it. You might consider asking the shop if they have a loaner wheel.

If you continue to ride this, mark the currently cracked spokeholes with a magic marker. Now watch to see if the cracks grow or now holes start to crack. Monitor the progress. (I'm guessing these are all drive-side spokes. If they are non-drive-side spokes, this is less critical but I would not ride the wheel after a 1/4 of the drive side spokes have cracked.)

What we (fellow BFers) don't know is: are the spoke holes that cracked due to poor build and a few specific problem spokes in which case, the wheel may go on a long time untouched as a mediocre wheel or is this a wheel where the spokes were tensioned equally but too tight in which case you may be looking at an oncoming total failure of the rim and a collapse of the wheel. (The former is often due to inadequate spoke tension. Rarely catastrophic.)

If riding is important to you, I'd do the marking I suggested and I'd call the shop, tell them I need to ride, that I'll watch the wheel and could they set aside a loaner if I need it? That way, you come across as a customer who actually rides their bikes and not just a PITA. (Also keep in mind they operate on "bike shop time". A two week replacement usually take four.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney: