View Single Post
Old 06-08-19, 02:06 PM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
My input isn't going to be very helpful for your comparison so, hopefully, someone else will know more and be able to give you a comparison for the saddles you mentioned. I can speak a little about the Berthoud though. I have both a Brooks B17 and a Berthoud (no cutout). I'm currently "breaking in" the Berthoud on a stationery bike and have the equivalent of around 150 miles on it. It's still hard as a rock but beginning to break in. The B17 was hard as a rock too and took about 300 miles to break in before it was comfortable. I figure the Berthoud with the thicker leather (compared to the Brooks) is going to take even longer to break in. Like everyone always says, saddles are a very personal preference thing but the Brooks, after the break in, is very comfortable to me. Having said that in the end and after break in I think, for me, the Berthoud is going to edge out the Brooks with regard to comfort.

The reason(s) I think the Berthoud is going to end up being better/more comfortable for me is, compared to the Brooks, it has a flatter design from the nose to the rear of the saddle. That just felt more comfortable to me the moment I sat on it. The Brooks rises more in the back and that's the one nitpick I have with it. Also the Berthoud uses a polymer (plastic) rear support to stretch the leather on the back of the saddle.... the rails are, of course, metal and not plastic. Berthoud touts that polymer as being more forgiving than metal and therefore more comfortable but just as durable. The question is how durable is that polymer. I haven't read anywhere that folks were ending up with cracked frames so maybe it's as durable as they say. I must say I do feel a very slight "give" to it with that polymer support compared to the more rigid Brooks. The other thing to note is Berthoud uses flush mount allen screws to hold the leather down and not rivets (like Brooks does). AND those screws are located on the back of the saddle and below where you sit. That's also different from Brooks. One final thing, if you ever wear out the leather, Berthoud sells a replacement so you don't have to buy the whole thing.