View Single Post
Old 06-12-19, 04:05 PM
nivalu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
soo....

when i first posted this, as i mentioned, i had found a bike online that was listed at 47cm. i thought the right size for me was closer to 49-50 and i was worried that this bike was too small. however i was tired of going from shop to shop and reading tons of ads with no luck, so i was ready to grab something and get going. i do have a hybrid i was riding in the meantime, but i really wanted a drop bar bike.

when i saw this listing, for a bike i was familiar with, at a good price and in seemingly good condition, i was hoping it would work. i posted this message a couple of days before i went to see the bike because i was concerned about "settling" for a bike that was too small.

in the end, the bike was fine--it was a size bigger than advertised, which was weird, and it seemed to work for me. i rode it home and have been riding ever since.

i have had random bits of discomfort--horrible time clipping in/out, crotch discomfort, numb hands, just overall a feeling of not being set up correctly. i took it to an LBS today for a 'casual' fit--they dont provide this service but agreed to check it out for me. at my size, i didnt think going for a $300 fit made sense.

long story less long, they determined that the bike is still too small. i am only 5'3'' but we tried a 52 then a 54 and both fit a lot better. i then tried a 56 and i could still stand over it, but with poor clearance.

i've had the bike for a while now, though , and i dont think i could afford to go for another. i could and would never sell something online--i live alone and it is just too creepy--so i'm kinda stuck with this one for now. i dont have the space for yet another bike.

at first they told me that i could do stuff like get a setback seatpost to make the fit more comfortable, and possibly a longer stem, but then tried to say that it would just make sense to get a new bike. when i was not interested, i was told to just ride this one as-is.

i actually think a set back post would make sense....my seat cant go any further back and i feel as though i need to be back a little more. hopefully i can find such a post online somewhere.

knowing i have legs that long makes me want to lose this dang stomach to see what else i'm working with