Old 05-10-15, 06:04 AM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clarifixer
My early 70's Nishiki Olympic frame and fork bought on eBay last fall and built up with mostly middling components. An aging back dictates the somewhat un-aerodynamic position on the bars, but it's very comfortable with the long wheelbase and relaxed frame angles.

I did spring for a White Industries freewheel and Wipperman chain, but the rest of it is purely functional except for a dash of blue bling here and there. I like the Oriental Blue original paint, even though it's pretty chipped up, so I just put a heavy coat of wax over everything, even a few little spots of surface rust. Hey, it's retro-chic. Even the Blackburn rack is from about the same vintage. Yeah, it's got the bag, mirror, tail light and all that crap, but it doesn't bother me to not be cool. More resistance, ya know. I'm spinning a 44 x 17 at 85-90 rpm for 25 miles three times a week and am about ready to go to a 46 x 17. Not too bad for an old geezer, even though I do get passed a lot!

Lotta do-dads on that, but thats a cool bike. I love old Nishikis and Shoguns. Tough work bikes, easy to find parts.

Hopefully in a couple weeks i'll be able to post the Basso up here. Been traveling for job hunting purposes so it has
kinda fallen behind a little...