Old 09-07-16, 01:04 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KenshiBiker
The rope hoist can have one significant mechanical advantage vs simple hooks - assuming you set it up as a block-and-tackle arrangement. I built my own to store our tandem at the last house. At about 45 pounds (probably more if you include the rear rack and trunk, etc., I couldn't easily lift the tandem onto hooks in the ceiling (and no way my wife could), at least partly due to the awkwardness (probably also partly due to being somewhat vertically-challenged). However, once I installed the block-and-tackle system, it was just a matter of hoisting it up, then fastening the rope to a cleat screwed into a wall stud. For single bikes, you're right, pulleys are too much hassle - I just use hooks, but they're attached to a modular rack that fastens to the wall rather than fastened to the ceiling.
Good point. These are 1:1, so no advantage. I don't think I'd want a tandem hanging over my head, anyway!