View Single Post
Old 05-04-20, 04:25 AM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by JackieYan
I hope I can explain myself clearly, as I don’t know all the names of the different parts. I’ve looked the parts up from a drawing, so hope I’m using the correct names.

I’m looking for something to cover the crankset/outer chainring on the front crank.
My problem is when sitting at traffic lights, for example, and I turn the crank to get it in the right position to move off, I sometimes rub the inside of my leg/sock along the chain itself, becoming covered in oil.

I googled, and ebay came up with something called “Bicycle Crankset Cap Bike Chain Wheel Cover Protector”
It looks to me like it screws into the crankset and is a larger diameter than the outer chainring. To my mind I’d hope that would prevent me touching the chainring and chain?

The one I saw said, “This bike chain cover is available as long as your bicycle tooth tray is 42T, 44T, or 46T. To use this cover, you must have screws in the crank hole of your bike”

I have four unthreaded holes in my crankset.
I have a Merida Big Seven 300. I counted the number of teeth on the outside chainring(?) There are 40. The chainring is almost 17cm in diameter (including the teeth)

Or perhaps someone can suggest a better/easier alternative to stay clean?
Why not just be more careful?

Can't say I've ever gotten a chain tattoo rotating my crank.