JackieYan

Bikes: Merida Big Seven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I suggest you do some googling to familiarize yourself with a few terms:

Double crankset (or 2x) vs Triple crankset (or 3x)

Chain-guard

Chainring

Crankset.

Also, look at your crankset and see if you can find a model number.

You are getting a bit of advise here from people who are not reading what you have written, and could lead you down the wrong path.
Which of the terms do you think I haven't understood (it's a straight question).

I have an image of a bicycle I downloaded to find the names of the parts, as I didn't know them, and have used those names.
The heading I used "Chain Ring Guard/Chain-wheel Protector" was copied from an eBay advert, as I wasn't sure of the name of the item at the time.

The double crankset and triple crankset I follow, as that's the number of chainrings on the crankset.
What I don't understand is from the Merida spec, it just says "FSA Alpha Drive" and below it "36-22 teeth"
That indicates to me it's a double crankset? Yet it has three chainrings, the largest being 40T.

You asked if I could see a model number. did you mean other than the Merida listed one, which it says on the chainring and the crank arm ? - "FSA Alpha Drive"
On the 40T chainring it says "M-10", if that's relevant?

I've tried to see the number of teeth stamped on the other two chainrings. I just can't get at them to see, and short of taking every apart, trying to clean them isn't easy as they are both overlapped by the 40T one.