Old 07-03-20, 09:20 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
I have a tour in tentative plans for end of September to ride from Austin to Oklahoma City.
I am evaluating and watching things based on three aspects:
  1. Risks to me. I see a severe reaction as a risk with low probability but high consequences. The probability is higher than staying at home because I can't control exposure as easily. The consequences also a bit higher. Hopefully if I were to get infected, I would find a one-way car rental in nearby city and stop the trip.
  2. Risks to others. Responsibility in spreading things to others - particularly say if I were asymptomatic and spreading without knowing. This is one of those places where I'll watch the local health advisories and trends including shutdown orders. If there is heightened spreading or larger shutdown orders, then I'll also have additional responsibility to not go.
  3. Logistics of travel. TX State Park campgrounds have very limited openings and I don't expect this to change much. Seems like most of the Mom & Pop motels in smaller places still open. It is more difficult to stop in somewhere during the day e.g. restaurant to use the restroom or refill on water, so will need to adjust accordingly. I have a train booked for return travel, but looks like train service is phasing back from daily to 3x per week at start of October - so may not keep my (refundable) train ticket. The planned distance (~450 miles) is shorter than some other places I've crossed with limited services (e.g. Prudhoe Bay to Fairbanks is 500 miles) so this is at least as much a case of planning appropriately than something by itself that would stop the trip.
Independent of all that, following social distancing guidelines and minimizing frequency I use services along the way would come into play in any case.
For now, I'll see how things unfold over the next 2.5 months and finalize plans (or cancellation) based on that.

Last edited by mev; 07-03-20 at 09:30 AM.