Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
The AWOL is a nice bike. It would make a capable tourer as is. Touring bikes are not noted to be speedy by nature.
That said, the biggest single change you could make would be different tires. Those things you have look sturdy but are slowing you down. Unless you are gravel or off road touring, you don't need that aggressive tread pattern.

The newest "hot" tire maker is Compass, noted for their light weight, supple casings. Google them and see what that looks like and what the buzz is all about in regards to suppleness and speed.

On my tour bike, if I want flat protection, I go with Continental Gatorskins. Not the fastest but dependable. If I want to go faster I am now using Continental GP 5000's, they have about the lowest rolling resistance but are more prone to punctures.

There is always a balancing act between rolling resistance and flat protection, with people choosing to be somewhere along the spectrum depending.

Fenders won't slow you down. Paradoxically, studies show they create less air drag not more. The dyno hub, while creating some resistance, is a feature a lot of tourers would want for power generation while riding and independence from grid based recharging. The front rack is a little chunky but you could spend a lot retrofitting it for a little less weight that probably wouldn't help that much. Your Abus lock is heavy but... depends on how much you value its security.

They're not Compass anymore it Rene Herse now which will help with the google'ing

===

OP I have 700x44 Rene Herse tires and while my touring bike isn't as fast as a traditional road bike it's not sluggish by any means.
Likes For Germany_chris: