Old 09-13-12, 07:37 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Caudata
Frankly, I think you'd be better off looking at mountain bikes, if only because you can get into a more recent model that's on, or close to, the current standards for fitting bits like fenders and rack, and because they are generally easier to outfit, given the complement of braze-ons.

This may not sound like a big deal, and really it wouldn't be had you some experience, but given that, I think you'd be well served to kit out a bike intended to be main transportation and a car replacement as fully as possible, so that you're comfortable in all weather conditions and have the capacity to carry cargo. Being properly outfitted can be the difference between a chore and a pleasure.

I'd also say that in Vancouver, you're in what is arguably the best city in N. America for cycling, and should really visit some of the independent bike shops there and see what's going on. The city has set aside lots of resources for commuter cyclists as well, so avail yourself of that info. The Bike Forums are ok, but you can get much better info and specific direction from local sources.