View Single Post
Old 08-13-20, 06:06 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
OK, so I've gone full weight weenie on this and started thinking about ways I can trim fat from my SuperX.

Wheels are an obvious one, and while I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I'm thinking I can drop 500+ grams right there, assuming the stock wheels are in the 1900g range and a new set would be in the 1400g range.
Tires aren't as easy. The stock Vittoria Terreno Mix 33C tires are heavy at 425g. I'm going to run 32C GP5000TL's for summer road/gravel, and they weigh 375g/ea, but the sealant weighs slightly more than the tubes (125g vs 105g) so it ends up almost the same.
Rotors: The stock RT56 rotors are 133g. It looks like I can get other rotors around 110-115g so not a huge difference, but if I get a second wheelset it's another 30g savings.
Saddle: The stock Fabric Scoop Sport seat is pretty heavy at 374g. I have a Selle Italia SLR Superflow (195g) on my old bike. If I swap them, it saves 184g.
Seat post: Stock post seems to weigh around 300g. A carbon post would be 50g-80g lighter and may improve ride quality, but name brand carbon seat posts are surprisingly expensive so I may wait on this.
If I swap the 105 chain and cassette for SRAM stuff (Force cassette and Red chain) that I already have laying around, I can save 75g.

The one area I was surprised to see little difference is the stem and handlebars. I had assumed carbon parts would be way lighter, but it seems like the Cannondale C3 stuff is fairly lightweight already. Internet forums suggest 115g for the stem, and 319g for the bars. I'd have to spend big bucks on those items to drop any weight.

The saddle, seatpost, chain, cassette changes would total 360g. Wheels/rotors would be another 500g. So those changes alone would drop around 2lbs of weight.
This way madness lies...
Likes For Koyote: