View Single Post
Old 09-11-20, 09:54 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Mine is closer to 16.5lbs. I bought the 2x version, which is lighter, and put some lighter wheels and tires on it.

I have no worries at all about carbon bars. They feel great and I'm not sure how you would hurt them in a crash. Carbon can take a huge amount of torque, but they can't take a point load. But - as they are wrapped in tape - its gonna be hard to get a point load on them.

I do worry about the carbon steerer tube. Every crash torques the handlebars, and I know that is scarring the steerer tube.

If you get 6 bolt rotors, don't forget to cut off the unused ends of the bolts. ;-)

JOM did a good explaination on how to get a gravel bike down to 17.4lbs.
https://gravelcyclist.com/training-r...n-gravel-bike/
Good link, thanks for sharing. 17.4 lbs seems perfectly acceptable to me. Not weight weenie light, but still not heavy. I'm not sure I'm ready to start shopping for titanium bolts and DA components to get there, but who knows... this stuff can be fun in a weird way. Next thing you know I'm sanding off the paint and drilling holes in things...

The Inflite was the other bike I was considering, but was unavailable in my size and I got tired of waiting. They had a Force 1x model with carbon wheels that seemed like a killer deal.

Thanks for the input on the carbon bars. I hadn't considered that they're wrapped which does provide some level of protection. I have a carbon seatpost on my other bike that has been crashed a dozen times and I've never worried about the damage, so I guess bars aren't much different.